But Why That Name?

Casio. Seiko. Yul Brynner. Do you have cousins or nephews with such names? Or a classmate or friend of a friend perhaps? We’re talking about names entered into records, honest names that were given at birth.

You do? Of course you would. Now, have you ever wondered why someone would name their child after a Japanese watch or a baldhead movie star? Though it’s better than many other frightful things they could name their children after, it still is frightening.


Would it be to hide a cleft lip? Or a lisp? I’m not good at guessing these things. What do you think?

5 comments:

Yeshu said...

Reminds of names of some of my classmates in school, college, sisters friends ... Some of them are Don Bosco, Dominic Savio, Helen Joan of Arc, Luther, Darwin, Newton, Keiser ... for that matter my family name is Miranda and people confuse it with the drink Mirinda ...lol. Strangly, if you see names like these are not Indian. They are names picked up from some Geography and History books. If I have a son I will name him Vinyl. I dont know why, but i just seem to like the way it rhymes.

Rajesh Rajoo said...

vinyl yeshwant miranda. umm. rolls well on my tongue, but where's that plastic smell coming from?

Anonymous said...

Mona Lisa, Preety Smiles... these are the best real ones I could remember... :)

. said...

...vinyl is a very unisexual name and sounds completely cool..how bout FIRE!.just to add to the bizarre name list here are some more award winners. I once had a classmate called SONY..beat that...and a friend of mine knew Conception gomes,dolphin rajakumari...
we should do a website with these names.. :BNDB(bizzare name database) what say?

Rajesh Rajoo said...

how about blossome babykutti pronounced with a mallu accent?